St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


THE EXTERIOR - The Front (South) Elevation

The building is in two halves, each with its own gabled roof. The front wall, built of flint with ashlar dressings, is largely original Norman work. The broad flat buttresses are typical. The two first floor windows above the entrance are also original. They have rounded outer arches enclosing rectangular lights, an unusual variant of the normal Norman window. The other first floor window, to the left of the Norman windows, is a modern replacement of one inserted in the 15th century. Below the sill is a carving of a wolf guarding St Edmund's head. The door, ground floor and attic windows are 19th century. The clock turret was added by George Gilbert Scott in 1858. To the left of Moyse's Hall is now a shop which was converted from an inn called The Castle. The left-hand part of Moyse's Hall formed part of this inn for many years. To the right of Moyse's Hall is a street, down which the visitor can walk to see the side and rear of the whole complex.