St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?



The surviving evidence of childhood from our past can be both funny and sad. One of the most popular exhibits in the museum is a dolls' house of 1871 made by George Harding of Weston-super-Mare for Edith and Annie Mason whose photographs can be seen hanging in the largest room. The house is beautifully furnished and decorated and includes some delicate handmade lace. There is also a collection of dolls, of which the most notable is a china-headed baby doll dressed by one of Queen Victoria's dressmakers; and a collection of teddy bears including one wearing a parachute harness! Another side of childhood is also depicted within the collections. A 16th century iron corset for a young girl must have been appallingly uncomfortable to wear, whether for support or punishment. Finally, and all too common in the past, the collections include a 19th century child's bier, used to carry the coffins of children to their funerals, in this case from Thorpe Morieux.