St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


THE INTERIOR - The Solar & The Hall

The Solar

This would probably have been the private bedchamber of the owner of the house. Many of the room's most interesting features date from the 15th or early 16th century. This was the period when the King family occupied Moyse's Hall, and it seems likely that they modified the domestic rooms to make them more comfortable. The window is a modern replacement of one inserted in the 15th century. The fireplace surround is early 16th century and has a shallow arch with double ogee moulding. To the left of the fireplace is a Norman doorway which was altered later and incorporates a reset 14th century head. It seems most likely that this opened onto an internal staircase leading down to the ground floor. Most of the doors on the first floor are Victorian replacements, but there is one late Perpendicular doorway with its original door connecting the Solar and the Hall. The door has a barred window, which was probably inserted when the building was a prison. Beside the door is an alcove containing the spiral staircase the remains of which can be seen on the ground floor.

The Hall

This was once the main room of the Norman house, where the owner and his family lived. Sadly, much of its character has gone. Its best features are the two Norman windows, which have already been seen from the outside. Both have stone window-seats with a roll edge and a raised foot-rest. These are rare survivals and are in excellent condition. The room would have had a boarded or plastered ceiling originally, below steeply pitched rafters and tie- beams. The present fireplace is a 16th century insertion, with an earlier blocked doorway beside it, which suggests that this is not the original hearth site. To either side of the windows are small Victorian doors. One leads to the bell tower and the other to the weights of the clock. The window at the back of the hall is barred, presumably another survival from the prison era.