St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


THE EXTERIOR - The Front (East) and Rear (North) Elevation

The Side (East) Elevation

This is in three distinct parts. The left part, nearest the front, is the side wall of Moyse's Hall itself. The original side wall and parapet collapsed in 1805. Early pictures show that this wall contained, at first floor level, three arched openings, two containing windows, below a row of carved heads. It was rebuilt within its original line with a new roof of shallower pitch. The middle part of this side elevation has flint walling alternating with red brick bands. It is the side wall of a 16th century range added to the rear of the original building. The lower part of the wall has been rebuilt. The right- hand end of the side elevation, going round the corner, is a three-storeyed red brick block built in the early 19th century.

The Rear (North) Elevation

This range is in two halves. The left-hand part is the same three-storey brick building seen at the side, but the right-hand part is much older. Although there have been many modern alterations, this is basically an early 16th century timber-framed and jettied building. Its significance lies in the fact that it has a gallery at first floor level on the side away from Brentgovel Street, facing into what was once a courtyard. It is very characteristic of 16th century inn galleries which gave access to first floor lodgings, and it suggests that at least some of the Moyse's Hall complex was an inn at this time.