St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


THE INTERIOR - The Passage & The Staircase

The Passage

This is the room to the rear of the Undercroft. There is architectural evidence that Moyse's Hall originally extended further to the rear, which suggests that this room and the one above are a 16th century remodelling of a 12th century annexe. This is called 'the Passage' on Thomas Warren's map of 1741 and is entered through a 16th century brick arch. Two further brick arches on the side wall which survived until 1984, probably originally opened onto a courtyard. The mock fireplace on the wall opposite the arches is a recent addition: it consists of two pillars built to carry a 16th century oak fireplace lintel from the Pickerel Inn at Ixworth.

The Staircase

Perhaps replacing the medieval original, is a staircase leading to the first floor. This is a 19th Century addition. At the top is a Gothic style window, through which can be seen, on the left hand wall, two small barred windows dating from the period when the building was a prison. At the top of the stairs is a lobby. The door straight ahead leads to the Solar and that on the left to the Hall.