St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


THE INTERIOR - The Undercroft & The West Gallery

The Undercroft

Entering through the front door, the visitor steps into the Undercroft. This has much original Norman work and is the most impressive room in the building. It was likely to have been used for commerce originally and entered directly from the marketplace. It has a stone vault supported by two low circular pillars with simple square capitals. The mock fireplace in this room came from an old house in Hatter Street. It consists of 12th century stone columns with a 16th century oak beam. To the left of the entrance is a medieval doorway, beside which lie the mutilated remains of a late medieval stone spiral staircase built within the thickness of the wall and leading up to the first floor. The shallow brick arches which lead to the other rooms were inserted in the 16th century.

The West Gallery

The room to the left of the Undercroft is also largely Norman work and may originally have been used for domestic storage. It has a stone vault in three bays. This room was part of the Castle Inn for many years: underneath it is a cellar once used for storing beer barrels. In the 1890s it was a parcels office for the Great Eastern Railway Company.