St Edmundsbury

*Business Directory
*Clubs & Societies
 Manor House
 M/S Light Railway
 Moyses Hall
 History of the Building
 12th Century Origins
 Merchants 1300 - 1600
 Policemen 1600 - 1892
 Museum 1892 - 99
 Neighbouring Buildings
 Building Architecture
 General Outline
 The South Elevation
 East & North Elevation
 Undercroft / W Gallery
 The Passage / Staircase
 The Solar / Hall
 The Edwardson Room
 The Collections
 The First Hunters
 Seasonal Settlers
 The First Farmers
 The Chieftains
 British Tribal Kingdoms
 Outpost of an Empire
 South Folk of East Angles
 Men of the Cloth
 Crime and Punishment
 Making Music
 Arms and Armour
 Health and Home
 Local Genius
 Wierd and Wonderful
 Archaeology Resources
 Sue Ryder
*Recommended Reading

site designed by mi

To contact mi, click here

This is an independent site
not associated with
St Edmundsbury Borough Council

Want to advertise here?


LOCAL HISTORY - Local Genius

The area has produced its fair share of creative thinkers over the centuries. Some went on to achieve fame and fortune, others lived out their lives locally, having perhaps enjoyed brief recognition. Moyse's Hall Museum includes a few examples of what such people have left behind. Robert Bloomfield (1766-1823) was a Suffolk farm labourer who became a well-known poet but died in poverty (his most famous work is 'The Farmer's Boy'). He was something of a carpenter and made the table, chair and the exceptionally unusual Aeolian harp on display.

Another local writer, Louise de la Ramée (1839-1908) better known as 'Ouida', was born in Bury St Edmunds. She died in poverty but some of her last possessions were presented to the museum. The famous play Charley's Aunt by Brandon Thomas was first performed at Bury St Edmunds' Theatre Royal on 29th February 1892 - a tremendous coup for the local theatre; a range of memorabilia relating to the play are on display. Finally, a magnificent if somewhat bizarre tricycle, with stirrups and hand- operated pedals, is testimony to the ingenuity of a village wheelwright and carpenter Joseph Edwards and his blacksmith companion Martin Marriot who created this machine at Great Barton in around 1870.